How do I use VLC Media Player to find and play a SAP (Session Announce Protocol) announced AVN stream?
- Setup the AVNXXX encoder for SAP streaming using the encoder’s Channel->SAP browser interface page.
- Make sure “SAP Enabled” is set to “Yes”.
- Make sure there is a “Session Name” set. This is the name that will appear in the VLC playlist.
- Set the “Announce Frequency” to 30 (default). This is number of seconds between SAP network announcements.
- If any changes were made to the SAP settings, make sure to click the “Save” button before leaving the page.
- Make sure the AVN is streaming.
- Setup the VLC Media Player to listen for SAP announcements on the network. The following instructions are based upon VLC Media Player version 1.1.2, and may be different for other versions.
- Launch VLC Media Player.
- From the top “View” menu, select the “Playlist” option, to bring up the Playlist dialog.
- In the left had “Media Browser” column, expand the “Local Network” option, and select “Network streams (SAP)”.
- The right hand list box should now be titled “Network streams (SAP)”. At first the list will be empty but will be populated over time as the VLC Media Player receives SAP announcements. If the SAP “Announce Frequency” was set to 30, the most you should have to wait to see the AVN “Session Name” listed is 30 seconds.
- Once the “Session Name” of the AVN is listed, simply double click it to begin VLC playback.